Monthly Archives: July 2013

2013 Trail Jamboree

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

This past week was the Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Associations Annual Trail Jamboree. This is a four day event in Washington State that caters to four 4 wheeling enthusiasts with a variety of trails for all skill levels. This year the vehicle that we took was a 1967 Series IIa diesel. We were the only vintage Land Rover at the event but more than kept up with any trail that challenged us.

Advertisements

Recent Review

The technicians here at Dare Britannia thought you might be interested in reading what one of our recent customers said about us. This is a review by John P of Ocean Park, WA. It can be seen on our Yelp page, http://www.yelp.com/biz/dare-britannia-ltd-olympia. We have South Puget Sounds only non dealer Land Rover and Range Rover diagnostic software.

“My Rover was delivered here by tow truck after a breakdown. The tow was 30 miles in the direction of home (which is another 2-1/2 hours away — more  about driving time in a moment). It was an electrical problem, intermittent and bizarre — but in scant time the electrical specialist isolated the problem to a failing alternator. I got a comprehensive email report on the trouble-shooting steps plus a phone call to explain theory of how a less-than-catastrophic failure in power output could produce such weird symptoms. Also got an after-action report on cold start and warm start testing after new alternator installed. The whole forensic process was superb, matched by direct communication with the technician in charge. To be clear on that, my first phone conversation was with the owner, who conferenced the electrical specialist to introduce who would be responsible for troubleshooting. Work was finished in a bit more than a day at shop rates and parts costs comparable to my local garage (Long Beach peninsula). Tremendous service, really — I’ve put 330,000 miles on the rig since new (1997 NAS Defender 90 soft top) and at some dealerships, the service queue is days or weeks to get started. After this first experience at Dare Britannia, I’ve made the 5-hour round trip twice for additional work. The attention to detail is remarkable, and the range of skills to deal with out-of-production parts is top notch. My latest project cost $6,000 and every penny well spent. Despite spanning the Christmas holidays and needing delivery of parts from the UK, the work was done on schedule. And like the first emergency repair job, I got a steady flow of progress reports from the shop floor — emails, two sets of shop photos on newly fabricated fittings, and a tech journal growing to 40 numbered items as the project went forward — the most helpful customer interface I’ve ever had. Hats off to the whole crew here. My Rover’s never had higher quality care”.

Wheel Hub and Axle Replacement

We are currently working on restoring a 1970 Late Series IIa. The current project is replacing the axles and wheel hubs. Here’s a photo of a hub and axle that were replaced as well as the hardware.

ImageImageImage

photo 3

Throughout the process we continued to take photos.

ImageImage

Image

Image

Image

Here’s a quick summary of the work completed.

Normal
0

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”;
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

  • 1.       All 4 corners  were inspected, a hub seal has leaked 90wt onto the shoes and rear shoes are too thin for our comfort.  a complete brake job needed with a thorough inspection of all the hardware.
  • 2.       All 4 corners stripped to the backing plate  with all three flex lines  inspected for integrity, all the hardware (springs, anchors) need to be replaced, all the wheel cylinders and a complete  brake fluid flush will be done
  • 3.       Inspection finds that the hub assemblies will need to be replaced; the right front axle will need to be replaced due to rust at the splined hub end.
  • 4.       All the new components were prepped and painted.