Monthly Archives: January 2013

Restoring Lucas Wiper Motors

In the shop we are restoring Lucas Wiper Motors. These wiper motors were made for late series I, series II, and IIa. We are in the process of dissembling, repairing, and rebuilding a number of these classic wiper motors. Currently we have 8 fully functional Lucas Wiper Motors in stock.  Below is a video of three motors in the process of being restored, a 4th is in process as I type this.

IMG_0794 IMG_0793 IMG_0788

During the process of repairing these motors we took some photos. Here’s Steve the mechanic using a lathe to clean the commutator and all shafts, followed by fresh lube.IMG_0789IMG_0790

Friday End Of Job Success!

Here is a picture of a successful completion of the job we posted about earlier in the week. The fuel lines look wonderful. Around here we are very productive…..even on Fridays


In the  upgrade repair of the classic D90 tail light/wiring failures we replaced the all the rear tail light s with leds.  After such repairs the turn signal tempo flashed at a beyond positive attitude….a bit faster of a flasher then OE.  There is a very simple fix for this a bit timely but simple considering the alternatives. Here’s a little pop quiz for the weekend, How would you change the tempo of a turn signal when converting over to LED?

Removing The Fuel Tank On A Defender 90

The job we are working on today required the removal and on a fuel tank on a Defender 90. This brought up some unique challenges. One option was to remove the trailer hitch to gain access to the fuel tank. The trailer hitch was too rusty to remove and this would have also created days of extra work. Fortunately the skilled hands of our techs were able to pry the tank is as well at place it back after the jobs completion. This job required specially fabricated fuel lines/ unavailable flex fuel lines for the Defender 90. These specialized fuel lines are however available at Dare Britannia.


One of the simpler parts of the job was over-crimping the steel fuel lines with an olive. An easy repair with an easy tool.



Just for comparison heres photos of the old nuts as well as the new nuts and olives.


Happy New Year

We hope that everyone had a terrific holiday season and new year. It’s been a while since we posted but were back and ready to share what we’ve been up to lately. One of our customers had us detail the engine compartment on their rover. It looks pretty incredible. We also are continuing the restoration process on the 1963 Safari Wagon. These are just a couple of the vehicles we have currently in the works. Some of the new years resolutions we have around here are to blog more often and also expand into new kinds of content such as video. Heres to a great start to 2013.

IMG_8048 IMG_8049 IMG_8046 IMG_8051